expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, May 2, 2011

My Quest for an American-made TV


A few weeks ago, thinking I needed to replace a broken television, I posed the question on Facebook as to which TVs are made in the United States. Foolishly, I expected several quick responses which would direct me to several brands. I received two replies which suggested that there probably are none, or possibly one.


Realizing I was going to have to work to find one, I began searching through Google. I learned:


1. Most American-made TVs ceased to exist in 1985 when Zenith was bought out by a South Korean company.


2. Sharp moved to Mexico in 2000.


3. Vizio Inc. is located in California, but the TVs are manufactured elsewhere.


4. Olevia TVs were made in the US by Syntax-Brillian (Tempe, Arizona) until they went bankrupt in 2008.


5. Phillips television sets are made in China, their North American Head Office is in New York City, NY, but the parent company is in the Netherlands.


6. There are a few TV monitors (not TV receivers) used for security systems made in the US.


The sad fact is that Americans cannot purchase a television set manufactured in the USA by American workers.



2 comments:

McNamara - sarged112@ aol.com said...

Re: american-made tv's
On the Apr.26th Brian William's program ? "Rock 30?" they showed an American Co. in Detroit making & shipping televisions . Missed the name of the Co. and also the name of the set

Anonymous said...

SEE BRIAN WILLIAM'S ROCK 30 PROGRAM OF APRIL 25 SEGMENT ON AN AMERICAN COMPANY IN DETROIT MAKING & SHIPPING FLAAT SCREEN TV'S

REP;Y TO SARGED12@AOL.COM, PLEASE.