expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, December 21, 2009

Malodorous Gothic Cathedrals

This belongs under the category: what I learned while looking up something else.

Having grown up Catholic and serving as an altar boy for many years, I always wondered: why all the incense? I really disliked it and considered it a source of air pollution.

Now I understand why the Church used it. It seems that in the Middle Ages, personal hygiene was not a top priority, and when hundreds of people gathered in a church, the combined odors became a major distraction. Incense was the Church's answer.

I am not sure why the Church still uses it today. In fact, since perfume and cologne had a similar origin, why do we still use them today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I fool be familiar with a scarcely any of the articles on your website in the present circumstances, and I unqualifiedly like your fashionableness of blogging. I added it to my favorites net period file and last will and testament be checking back soon. Cheer repress out my position as ok and let me be acquainted with what you think. Thanks.