expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Motorcycles and Riders Need a New Color.






                 


In the interest of clarification: I like motorcycles,  and in an earlier time I liked to ride motorcycles until the day I wrecked a fine bike.

That being said, within the last two months, on two occasions, I have come close to causing a motorcycle accident because I did not see the motorcycle and its rider until the last moment. Fortunately, both times I was able to avoid colliding with the bike; but on careful assessment of each incident, I determined that the bike seemed to appear from "nowhere."

I think I have determined the cause of the problem which is that motorists frequently do not see motorcycles. Unfortunately, the vast majority of motorcycles are painted black or a dark color, and most motorcyclists wear black  clothing.  A black motorcycle with a rider wearing black in the shade of trees is almost invisible on a sunny day. Once the motorcycle moves into the sun light, it becomes visible to the motorist: but in some cases, that may too late.  

Motorcyclists tend to think that motorists show no respect for them, but I suggest that it is a problem of visibility. Insurance studies have indicated that white automobiles are involved in less accidents than black or dark-colored vehicles. One can then conclude that a black motorcycle with a rider clothed in black is in more jeopardy than a brightly-colored bike with a brightly-attired rider.

Granted that black may be "cool" in the biker community; it is not the safest color.

Rest assured, bikers, it's not that we disrespect you; it's that we do do not see you. Perhaps you could wear a brightly-colored vest or ride a brightly-colored bike.

No comments: