expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Geek Squad to the Rescue


geek_squad_logo.jpg (843×481)


After years of experience dealing with computer "help centers" in India or wherever our computer companies have found people willing to work for less than minimal wages, I was amazed with my experience today with the Geek Squad at Best Buy.


Last spring after my previous HP computer bit the dust after only three years, I went to Best Buy and purchased a Toshiba laptop at a very attractive price. When the quite knowledgeable salesman suggested that I purchase the Geek Squad assistance package, I was ready. "What are you talking about" I asked. "Why would I buy this computer? Apparently you have no confidence in this or you would not try to sell me insurance. Why do I want a laptop that you are suggesting will need repairs within the first three years? "
      "It's my job," he said, "to make you aware of the possibilities. This is a good laptop and hopefully you will not have any problems for years."
      " I certainly would not buy it," I said,  "if I thought it was a piece of crap that I had to buy your insurance for."
      "No problem, sir. I was just mentioning what was available."


At that point, my wife, Sandy, cleared her throat and said, "Dear, maybe we should discuss this." Immediately, based on past experience, I'm thinking: Damn, she is going to talk me into signing up for the damn Geek Squad. Then she  recalled in great detail how I had spent the larger part of two days on the phone with HP technicians who were charging me for their help before they informed me that my computer was dead. Needless to say, before we left the Best Buy showroom, I had reluctantly and under duress purchased a Geek Squad contract


Yesterday, after I had unsuccessfully tried to download an anti-virus update,  I was unable to open my Quicken account and   turned the computer off. Today when I turned it on, I could not move the cursor and therefore was unable to do anything.


Swearing under my breath with visions of being without my laptop for 5 to 7 days, I loaded it up with the  accompanying paperwork and took it to the nearest Best Buy store located on Monroe St. in Toledo. The store was busy and I had to wait about ten minutes to talk to the first available geek. Actually Andrew did not fit my preconceived stereotype. He was an attractive young man with an athletic build and a pleasant personality. Frankly, I was expecting a couch potato with a pocket protector who refused to make eye contact.


Furthermore I expected Andrew to do some paper work, throw my laptop on the shelf, and inform me they would contact me after they had a chance to look at it, I was surprised when Andrew asked my permission to turn on the laptop at which point he began analyzing it right there on the counter. He soon informed me, "The good news is that's its not a hardware problem. Let me see what I can do about the software problem." He inserted a disc and began working his magic. After about fifteen minutes, he looked up and said, "Okay, you're back in business. Do you have any other issues I could help you with?" I was tempted to ask him to do something about my arthritic shoulder, but instead, I mentioned two other computer-related problems I was having with my anti-virus program. He solved both problems, and I was out of the door at no charge with my functioning laptop in less than an hour. 


I am still wary of purchasing service contracts for mechanical and electronic items, but in this case I am grateful Sandy "convinced" me.



No comments: