expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, October 19, 2012

Romney Haunted by George W. Bush




After three weeks (I had been on vacation), Buck and I resumed our weekly breakfast at Nick's Diner. I was sporting a sun tan and Buck was wearing a scowl. His greeting: " I hope you scored a shit-load of birdies down there while I had to play golf in in the wind, rain and cold up here in Toledo."

"Give me a break, Buck. You're confusing me with my brother, Jim, who considers pars normal and a birdie here and there as part of a normal round."

At this point, the hostess seated us at our favorite table, and Sara brought us our coffees. "I thought you guys deserted us for that franchise down the road."

"No way!" Buck interjected. "My friend, and I use that term loosely, decided to go to Hilton Head, and I was left to survive on my own."

"Oh you poor baby!" Sara said with mild sarcasm

"May I remind you, Sara, that I am a paying customer and your blatant ridicule could influence your tip.".

"I regret to say this, Buck, but your tips have not set any Guinness records"

Buck ignored that comment and suggested, " Perhaps you would be so kind as to take our orders?

After Buck ordered an "All American Omelette," and I my favorite "Boston Breakfast," I made the mistake of asking whether he had seen the second Obama-Romney debate. "Yes my man, It was the best presidential debate of all time. Two alpha males strutting around the stage and going at it nose to nose. The only thing missing were the boxing gloves."

"Granted the theatrics were mildly amusing, but what about the ideas?"

"What about Romney's refusal to answer a question? A lady asked Mitt to describe how he is similar to and different from George W. Bush, and he turned his back on her and talked about something else. Of course, he's the same guy who told us that he doesn't care about 47% of the country. Obviously this woman is someone he doesn't care about. Although  he is promoting the same failed policies of George W. Bush, his pollsters must have told him that he doesn't want to be associated with George W.In fact I think he must be afraid to look in the mirror in the morning because he might see George W. looking back.  And who can blame him? That has to be really scary, especially the first thing in the morning."

"Well," I said, " he tells us he can create 12 million new jobs and he has 'a binder of women' to appoint to high level jobs. What's wrong with that?"

"You have to be pulling my leg. This is the man who closed American plants and sent jobs over-seas in order to make money for Bain Capital. He even described in detail to his billionaire contributors the terrible working conditions of young Chinese women working in plants that Bain Capital was invested in. As for creating jobs, his party has almost unanimously voted against every job-creating bill in Congress. As they were wont to say, 'It's not about what is good for the country, it's about defeating President Obama.'"

"That's not what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they asked representatives  to swear to promote  'the General Welfare," I said.

"Probably not;  but they would never have envisioned a Supreme Court decision similar to Citizens United., allowing unlimited,  anonymous spending for a political candidate, even if the money is coming from foreign sources."

"It blows my mind that true conservatives would agree with something like that," I said.

"Expediency, my boy. The Republicans are cashing in  and that's all they care about. Barry Goldwater would be outraged, but this generation of conservative lacks his principles."

When Sara brought our food and asked whether we would like anything else, Buck asked, "Sara, do you believe women and men should be paid the same for doing the same job?"

"Absolutely!"

"Are you familiar with the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act?"

After a brief hesitation, Sara said, "Isn't that the law that allows women the right to file sit against employers who practice gender discrimination?"

"Exactly!  You are on top of things. Would you be surprised to know that Mitt Romney was opposed to that bill?"

"Of course not. He and his Mormon friends think women like me should stay in the house doing laundry and baking cookies."

Buck asked, "You have a problem with that?"

Her eyes riveted on Buck as she stepped closer. "The only reason I am not pouring this hot coffee on your crotch is your senility."

No comments: