expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, December 17, 2012

Bishops' $2 Million Negative Ad Campaign




Money for Political
Campaigns?










Recently  I came upon the following open letter from Barbara Serving to Cardinal Timothy Dolan.

The letter reminded me that our church is called the "Catholic" Church for a reason. In so far as it remains true to its origins, ou church is "catholic" in that it is "all-inclusive, universal, and comprehensive." Jesus of Nazareth did not exclude people, he welcomed them.

Perhaps the Vatican and the hierarchy have lost sight of our origins, and maybe Barbara's letter will remind them.


To: His Eminence Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York
Your Eminence, 
I've been going to Catholic mass almost every week since I was a little girl. My aunts and uncles are nuns and priests. My husband was a member of the Knights of Columbus. We raised our kids in our parish community and sent them to Catholic schools. Catholicism is more than just a belief for me -- it's a deep seed of my identity.

And it has always taught me that God made us all, and loves us all the same. The same way I try to love all my kids. That's why, when my incredible son told me he was gay, it didn't change my love for him one bit.

He's always my child.

That's why I was outraged to learn that the leadership of our Church just spent $2 million on anti-gay marriage ballot campaigns. Think of all the positive things that $2 million could have accomplished. Think of the hungry fed, the sick comforted, the homeless sheltered. Instead you chose to use parishioners' donations like mine to divide and discriminate.

Catholicism teaches us to love one another -- not to attack our sons and daughters for simply wanting to make lifelong commitments and start families. You won't have to ever marry a same-sex couple, but it makes no sense to deny them the right to be married under the law. And your parishioners aren't going to stand for it much longer.

I think it's time we all got on the right side of history. I hope you do, too.

Sincerely,
Barbara Servino

No comments: