expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, March 25, 2010

ESPN "Experts" Were Not So Good


As the second weekend of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament begins, my chances of winning either of the two pools (just kidding, IRS) in which I am participating is fourteen percent.

The problem is I listened to Dick Vitale and the other "experts" on ESPN. Prior to the tournament they were bemoaning the weakness of the field, suggesting that there were no quality teams other than the top 20. In fact. they were laughing at the NCAA for considering expanding future tournament to 96 teams, telling us there were not enough decent teams for a field of 64.

Being the lemming that I am, I believed them. Also, remembering that last year there were just a few minor upsets, the only upsets I picked were among the top 20 seeds.

And then last weekend, they actually played the games. Ohio University (#14) defeated Georgetown (#3) and that was just the beginning. Old dominion, Murray State, Cornelll, and St. Mary were all seeded # 10 or below and won at least one round. A number 9, Northern Iowa took out the over-all number one seed, Kansas.

And then there were the disparaging remarks the experts made about the PAC 10. Again, once the games were played, #9 Washington defeated 36 Marquette and #3 New Mexico. On the other hand, "they" extolled the depth of the Big East, and we know how that turned out--the only one left is West Virginia.

I've learned my lesson. Next year I'll go back to my old system of illing out the brackets--flipping a coin.

No comments: